How does one get into IIT?
In order to get admitted into the undergraduate programs in IIT, a candidate needs to take two exams – JEE (Main) and JEE (Advanced).
- JEE(Main) is a national level test administered by CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) in the month of April. The exam can be taken by paper (offline) or online.
- The exam consists of 90 multiple choice questions each worth 4 points for a total of 360 points. 0.25 points will be deducted for each incorrect response.
- There will be 30 questions each in Maths, Physics and Chemistry and the exam is 3hours long. See the list of places where JEE (Main) was conducted in 2017.
- The top 2,20,000 rankers of the JEE (Main) will qualify to appear for JEE (Advanced).
- JEE (Advanced) must be taken by a candidate to be admitted into IITs. JEE(Advanced) is administered by the zonal coordinating IITs under the guidance of Joint Admission Board (JAB) in the month of May. Click here to see list of JEE (Advanced) test centers.
- The exam consists of two papers 3 hours each, administered on a single day.
- Each paper contains 54 multiple choice questions covering Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- Marks for questions vary and in some sections, points will be deducted for incorrect responses.
- A candidate can attempt JEE(Advanced) a maximum of two times.
Criteria for appearing in JEE (Advanced)
- The candidate must be in the top 2,20,000 rankers of JEE (Main).
- Age limit – Candidates should have been born on or after October 1, 1992. SC, ST and PwD (Person with disabilities) candidates should have been born on or after October 1, 1987.
- For a candidate to be admitted into any of the IITs whose admissions are based on the JEE(Main)/JEE (Advanced) performance, she should have secured at least 75% in the 12thclass examination. SC/ST students should have secured at least 65% marks
- The candidate must have appeared for the 12th class examination and secured the above cut off marks within the last two years of the year of JEE (Main) exam. For example, if you are planning to appear for JEE(Main) 2017, then you should have cleared 12th class in 2015 or 2016 or should be planning to clear it in 2017.